Table Style Editor is an easy-to-use tool that allows you to customize
the appearance of records in tables. Tables can be used in the following ways:
Table Styles examples:
- Changing the default color skin:
- Displaying a multiline text using different fonts, displaying the contents
of an image field in a table:
Table Style Editor Interface
The upper pane consists of 4 tabs:
- Columns - on this tab you can select columns to be displayed and customize their properties (positioning, text font, colors);
- Rows - this tab allows you to customize the properties
of the table rows (height, style);
- Header - this tab allows you to customize the properties
of the table header;
- Sort and Group - using this tab you can set the order of data
sorting and grouping (this tab is available for certain tables only).
In the bottom pane of the window there is a test table that is used as a table style preview.
The left pane of the Columns tab contains the list of columns available in the table. In addition to the
columns representing the data of the record fields, a number of special columns
are also available:
- RECORD ICON - in this column an icon indicating the record type is displayed. The icon can be modified in the form properties in Form Editor;
- RECORD TITLE - this column contains the header of the record. One of the record fields is used as its header. This column is very useful when displaying records of different types in one table. For example, if one folder contains the list of authors and the list of books, the RECORD
TITLE column will contain the titles of the books and the names of the authors. Such header field can be defined by selecting the Title Field option in the Record menu.
- FILES COUNT - this column contains the number of attachments for the record;
- LINKS COUNT - this column contains the number of links to other records for the record;
- FOUND IN STRING - this column contains the part of the text, in which the search string was found. To learn more, see the Find Records section.
- RECORD FOLDER - this column contains the name of the folder that contains the current record;
The right part of the window can be used to edit the selected column:
- Font - the font used in the column;
- Text Alignment - text alignment in the column (left, right or center);
- Back/Fore color - background color and text color for the column.
By clicking the "<=>" button, you can specify additional colors that will be applied depending on the field values.
For example, you can highlight goods that are running out or non-paid orders with red.
- Alternative Title - the header title of the selected field. If empty, the field name will be used.
- Position - these buttons help you change the position of the column
within the table;
- Lock the column - if this check box is selected, you will be able to hide or display this column only using Table Style Editor (that is available only for "administrators" user group). That is, for other database users, this column will not be available from the "Columns" menu.
- Allow to edit data directly in grid cells - this option makes the grid cells editable,
so you can change record's fields using the grid:
You can also change this option for all table styles in your database in once from the "View->Advanced..." menu item.
- Fit last column - clear this check box if you don't want the last column to be fitted to the table width:
- Row Height - defines the height of a row (record) in the table;
- Selection Back/Fore Color - color of the back/foreground for the selection of the current record;
- Gradient - select this check box to fill the record gradient when selected.
- Draw Header - clear this check box to hide the table header;
- Header Font - defines the font of the header;
- Header Back/Fore Color - defines the background color of the header
and the font color;
- Hide header if no records in the table - if you mark this flag
the header will not be displayed if the table contains no records.
- Use custom color - this option allows to replace the default grey background color with another:
- Use custom picture- this option allows to use any picture as a table background;
- Rows transparency - use the transparecy option to show the table backround under records in the table:
- Draw Grid - clear the check box to hide the grid of the table;
- Grid Color - click this button to change the grid color;
- 3D Grid Style - select this check box to apply the 3D grid style.
Sort and Group Tab
- Sort records by - this element is used to specify the fields, by
which the table records will be sorted;
- Group records by - these elements can be used to group data in a
table by fields. Grouping is available for the many-to-many
relational fields and query results only.
To make sure the grouping works right, records are to be sorted by the same
fields as the grouping is done by; otherwise,
you can receive several groups with the same name.
Using the buttons at the bottom of the window, you can customize the color,
font, group header and footer and select whether the groups are to be collapsed
by default or not:
By clicking the Summary button to the right of the field by which records are being grouped, you can create displaying subtotals for each group using the wizard:
- Comments - select the text to be displayed before the calculated value;
- Field - select the field, by which the calculation is to be done;
- Operation - select what is to be calculated by this field (total, average, max/min value, value count).
The line with the calculated data will appear below all records in the group (see the picture above).