2010-04-29: Brilliant Database v9 Released
Brilliant Database v9 Server, Professional, Workplace and Ultimate (SDK) editions are now available for download and order.
To update your current version of Brilliant Database to the new version 9 you should:
- Download the new version;
- Install it;
- Fill in the upgrade form. You will automatically receive registration keys for v9 in case your one-year period of free updates has not expired or links to purchase new versions at 40% discount in case your period of free updates has expired. Use these links to purchase a new registration key for v9 with 40% discount.
- Activate the software using the new registration key.
What`s new in version 9
Video review of major changes.
1. A possibility to EDIT RECORDS IN GRIDS is added. You can work with lists,
images and relational fields directly without opening a form for each record:
2. Execution of VBScripts is now supported:
3. A possibility to quickly filter records in the folder is added. For example, you can filter records to show only non-paid bills or clients from New York. To add a filter, simply click the caption of a column in the folder.
4. You can now add custom scripts for record menu,
beside the standard ones - Delete, Clone, Fill. For example, you can add actions
to quickly send e-mails to selected contacts, mark tasks as complete or re-schedule several meetings at a time.
These actions can be performed for records selected in the folder, or records from queries:
5. View->Layout - a possibility to change the order of components on main form is added (e.g. swap views):
6. Notification Area where you can add your notifications is created. For example, you can add notifications about future meetings or about successful completion of the backup process. Notifications can also run scripts - you can, for example, display future meetings or an offer to copy the created backup file to an external disk.
7. A possibility to use regular expressions is added. To get all matches, use the For each match by regular expression cycle. For simple check of a string, use a new "RegExp Match" action.
8. You can use "Mandatory" and "Unique" properties for fields in v9:
9. Change Z Order of fields in Form Designer.
10. A possibility to work with any exteranl SQL database (MySQL, MS SQL, etc) using SQL queries via ODBC.
11. Almost all standard database operations (more than 50) can be blocked for each user group separately. E.g. "Replace" in the "Find/Replace" dialog or
a possibility to sort records.
- Dropdown lists can use data from record fields;
- Record changes can be cancelled;
- You can now completely configure a dialog for selecting records, for example, for a relational field: set custom width and height,, set Table Style different from the one used by default (select columns, colors and so on), specify your own caption of the window and so on
- Spell Checking for Rich Text Field is added
- Estimate time for execution of queries, and advice how to fasten query execution (bottlenecks) is now displayed.
- You can now set up to 16 color rules for one field.
- Report Style Editor is improved. Rulers for moving elements, protection against moving elements by mistake, and opening elements for quick editing with double click are added. A possibility to print images from relational fields is added (for simple relational and many-to-many relational fields).
- A possibility to add icons from files of the PNG format is added.
- Optimization now works much more effectively, which decreases the database size and increases the speed of work.
- Import/Parse Template can now be created right from the Import window.
- The "text FILE" formatting for getting the name of a file from the path to the file is added.
- Form Designer - minor improvements: for example, when elements are created on the dark background, text color is automatically inverted.
- A possibility to display a caption for many-to-many relational fields only if it has records is added. This works also when records are printed.
- Synchronization of databases - a possibility to import folders without records is added.
- Messages can be sent between database users.
- Work with time is improved in mathematical formulas.
- The "On empty value" text can be change for E-mail, URL, Simple Relational fields.
- You can setup a header for a calendar printout using the [$_calendar header text] variable.
Scripting and Automation
- Work of Script Designer is improved:
- When variables are created, they are now split into groups for convenience.
- The program checks if actions are specified correctly and notifies is some parameters are missing: for example, if you do not specify a field for the "Change field value" action.
- A possibility to use "Break" and "Continue" operators in cycles is added.
- The error notification module is improved.
- New static variables, which are same for all users and arent erased on database close.
- Boolean operations can be performed on recordsets now.
- The "Refresh" action that refreshes the content of fields is added.
- The "Change Layout" action that allows you to display/hide Small Query Results Window and Folder View is added.
- The "Change Folder Layout" action that allows you to change Layout and Table Style for the current folder is added. You can hide the list of records, change displayed columns or colors and so on.
- The "Change Records Access Level" action is added.
- For the "Show Message" action it is now possible to define a caption using a text formula.
- For the "Rename Folder" action it is now possible to define a new name for a folder using a text formula.
- For the "Attach File" action it is now possible to add one file by simply specifying a path to it. Previously it was necessary to specify a folder and a template for files.
- The "Change Image/File Field" action can now add files to the database directly from the Internet. Just enter the URL of files in the web, instead of a path to the file, for example: http://www.mystite.com/myimage.gif
- A possibility not to display the "Backup Created successfully" notification when backup is completed is added.
- A possibility to execute a script before a query is executed is added. In this script you can cancel execution of a query by specifying the value of the variable [$cancel]=1.
- The [$_server time] variable returning the time on the server when working by the network is added.
- A possibility to execute a custom script when records are created by standard means (from the Add menu, or using the Ins key in the records list) is added. For example, you can ask the user to enter additional data or block creation of records with a password.
- Text on the "Select Date..." dialog can be changed now.
- The current database version is shown on the main window caption after performing an update.
Changes in the SDK Edition (Ultimate)
- SDK Edition is renamed to Ultimate Edition;
- "Preview" button is added;
- Custom dictionaries can be included into the compiled application;
- ADB Server Monitor can be included into the compiled application;
- "Clear list of recent files" button is added to compiled applications.
- When a second record of the same type was opened in the popup window, the displayed window had the minimum height. Fixed.
- In Windows Vista/7 some elements overlapped the right border of a form, for example, in the "Find Records" dialog. Fixed.
- In charts, Y-axis sometimes overlapped the left border. Fixed.
- In charts, "Date Controls" were not hidden when there were no records. Fixed.
- Creation of a new record from the calendar sometimes blocked a possibility to create new records. Fixed.
- "Run-time Error 9" that appeared when the "Find Records" dialog for search along records of a specific type was used is fixed.
- Input of a fraction without the integer part was sometimes treated not correctly, for example: ".45". Fixed.
- Execution of embedded scripts was blocked by the notification "The script can not be executed because of other script is running now". Fixed.
- An attempt to use the mouse scroll on welcome screen sometimes resulted in an error. Fixed.
- When a math field was copied, the formula was not copied. Fixed.
- When a form has many sheets they are outside the are. Fixed.
- In Designer Form, fields with the "Visibility Rule" set were displayed not correctly. Fixed.
- When connecting to a remote database directly from the welcome screen, the welcome screen sometimes remained on the screen after successful connection. Fixed.
- When the program was installed on Windows 7, sometimes a false notification about "msscript.ocx" file was displayed. Fixed.
- Deletion of the last record from a many-to-many relational field with the Delete key and right-click on the field resulted in the "Run-time error 91". Fixed.
- When records were deleted together with their folder, file attachments for these records were not removed from the database. Fixed.
- When Rich-text fields were used, sometimes the "383 Text Property is read only" error occurred. Fixed.
- If the number of folders in the database was great, work with the database by the network was slow. Fixed.
- If a default record was specified in the "Popup Records" action not correctly, the "Subscription out of Range" error occurred. Fixed.
- When records in a many-to-many relational field were scrolled using the Up and Down keys on the keyboard, records were sometimes not refreshed. Fixed.
- When databases were synchronized, an error with importing icons for folder toolbars occurred. Fixed.
Home | Database Features |
Examples | Download |